As you may know, Verisign security certificates included in some older Netscape browserversions will soon expire
. The ability of consumers with older browsers to have continuedsmooth and safe online transaction experiences may be affected by the expiration of theseVerisign certificates. Although consumers will be able to continue to make securetransactions, they will see an expiration dialog box whenever they try to access securesites. Please note that this Verisign certificate expiration is a normal occurrence -similar to that of a driver's license, which periodically expires.
The purpose of this message is to:
- 1. Let you know which older versions of Netscape browsers include the expiring Verisigncertificates.
- 2. Provide information on easy options for your customers to upgrade their browser.
- 3. Provide you with access to a 'Toolkit' (below) to help you identify affected customersand communicate with them successfully.
1. Netscape Products Which Are Affected and Are Not
Affected: Versions 4.05 and earlier of Netscape Navigator and Communicator with VeriSigncertificates are pre-set to expire after December 31, 1999 and need to be updated.. Newerversions of Netscape Communicator are NOT affected and DO NOT need to be updated. Theyare: version 4.06 (released in August 1998), 4.07, 4.08, 4.5, 4.51, 4.6, 4.61 and thecurrent version 4.7. People using version 4.06 and later do not need to upgrade toversion 4.7, although they are encouraged to do so as part of overall good browserpractices.
2. Easy options for end users to upgrade to Netscape Communicator 4.7: As part of the Toolkit provided with this message, you should highlight to your affectedcustomers: - Free Download of Netscape Communicator 4.7 is at: http://dms-www1.netscape.com/cgi-bin/gx.cgi/mcp?p=63C0W03C0c51rrWd01200WB0mhL
- CD-ROM's of Netscape Communicator 4.7 are available for a small shipping and handlingfee at: http://dms-www1.netscape.com/cgi-bin/gx.cgi/mcp?p=63C0X03C0c51rrWd01200WB0mhL
- Contact Info: if your company has additional questions, please contact us email@example.com
If you require additional information on the server side issues surrounding the expiration
of Verisign Certificates, please visit the iPlanet web site http://dms-www1.netscape.com/cgi-bin/gx.cgi/mcp?p=63C0Z03C0c51rrWd01200WB0mhL
for thelatest news and information.
Note: This information was provided by an official Netscape source, not myself. Could someone with knowledge please post the corresponding info for IE browsers?